Life is Short, Break the Rules, Forgive Quickly, Kiss Slowly




What should the name of my new food blog be?

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The Shawarma/Donair Expert

I went out for dinner last night.  A yummy dinner of Lebanese food. There was shawarma and shish kabobs and hummus and baba ganoush (which is my favorite.  And I can actually eat it if its made properly!!!)

One of the people who came with us, was apparently a 'Shawarma/Donair Expert'.  His uncle or something owns the most famous and bestest shawarma restaurant in all of Lebanon (or some other middle eastern country, I can't remember which one) and all the people in neighboring countries even know about it because it is that awesome. 

Seriously.  Thats what this guy told me. 

Anyways he felt that he needed to spend the evening discussing, in depth, why his shawarma was only 'decent' and not really like how they make it back home.  Something about how they use the wrong pickles.  He went on and on about how it makes him mad that all these donair shops and middle eastern restaurants 'claim' to make their food to traditional standards, but they actually 'westernize' everything and make it not as good. 

It was about this time that I started to refer to the 'Shawarma/Donair Expert' by another name in my head.  That other name is 'Insufferable Ass-Face'. 

I really dislike all people who claim to be 'experts' in seriously weird things.  I mean its one thing to actually be a PhD in dinosaur bones or something and claim to be an expert on pterodactyl wing skin, if that's what you spent years and years researching and you actually are an expert on the subject. 
But to be a expert on how to make a proper middle eastern sandwich? Really?  I'm unsure that there is a 'proper' way to make a sandwich.  I'm fairly confident in saying that there are many correct ways to make a sandwich, and it all depends on each individual sandwich eaters personal taste buds. 

Needless to say the 'Insufferable Ass-Face' somehow managed to make my dinner less enjoyable. Food somehow doesn't taste as good when you know whats wrong with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails