Life is Short, Break the Rules, Forgive Quickly, Kiss Slowly




What should the name of my new food blog be?

Friday, May 28, 2010

Car Trips, Giant Eggs and Work

So last week I headed out to the thrilling town of Lloydminster for work.  I'd never been there before, but my company does quite a bit of work there, and it is the only town in Canada that is in two provinces (Alberta and Saskatchewan)

While the 5 hour drive there was thrilling (not), the road construction taking place all over the highway was a giant pain in the ass, work making me miss my photography class was upsetting and the fact that the safety conference I was attending was useless, I think the most disappointing part of the trip was Vegreville.  I was super excited to go there and take some awesome pictures of the GIANT UKRAINIAN EGG they have.  Yep taking pictures of 'the worlds biggest [...]' is always fun. 

So here is the egg.....


I think what I am most upset about is that it is not hand-painted.  They don't even attempt to make it look hand-painted.  And everyone knows that Ukrainian Eggs are supposed to be hand-painted.  Its made out of flat boring pieces of metal that aren't even in a pretty design.

Anyways I had a good time practicing my photography and playing around with my camera.  Here are some pictures I took of a train.  I'm playing around with my aperture settings to attempt for the background of the shot to be kind of blurry in the first shot and for the background to be clear in the second shot.  I don't really have enough of a zoom lens to have the effect to be super noticeable but it did work a little.

 These pictures are of the underside of a train car.  The idea is that this picture is blurry in the background but clear in the front.



This one should all be in focus.

 I'm now looking at what I wrote above.... I made it sound like this was the worst trip ever!  It really wasn't.  While there was lots of things that made me upset about the trip, I managed to turn it into a great time, with good company, practicing photography and I even rode the rollercoaster at West Edmonton Mall on my way home :) 

2 comments:

  1. It does make a fair bit of difference doesn't it, have to admit I've never tried playing with the settings of my own camera like that (its only a digital compact but it is fully manual). Inspired to give that a go too now :)

    Also lol, yeah! That is one ugly pattern/colour for a giant egg, maybe it hatches a giant-hand-painted-beautiful-metal-Ukrainian-duckling ... or something?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails