Life is Short, Break the Rules, Forgive Quickly, Kiss Slowly




What should the name of my new food blog be?

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Moby Dick and other Stories

Because I can't seem to find the cord that connects my camera to my computer so that I can upload all my WONDERFUL Vancouver and Seattle pictures for you all to see, I will be talking about the books I read.  And don't read. ENJOY

I failed at reading Moby Dick by Herman Melville.  I tried.  I really tried.  I read and read for 2 whole months and I just couldn't do it.  I blogged about reading it in hopes that I would be motivated to finish and not let down my wonderful readers. And it didn't work. And I totally feel like a failure.  I have this compulsive need to finish a book once I have started and so it is killing me inside that I never finished this.  I'm trying to console myself by saying that I will come back and finish the book one day.  That right now its just not meant to be for me to finish. 

But I did get to read some other fantastic books.   I finished the Millennium Trilogy by Steig Larsson.  I wrote about his first book, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and I mentioned how it was FANTASTIC.

The next two books were even better.  I don't really want to say too much about them because they are mystery novels, but I REALLY REALLY recommend them, even if mystery isn't usually your thing.  The first book in the trilogy is a 'stand alone' book.  You could read it and enjoy it and never need to finish the series.  The Girl who Played with Fire, and The Girl who Kicked the Hornets Nest are different.  Same characters, and honestly a continuation of the first book, but these two you MUST read together.  When you finish The Girl who Played with Fire, you immediately feel the need to pick up the second book, its left on a cliffhanger and you just have to know the ending. 

And I love books that leave me wanting more, that I don't want to put down, that I loose sleep over and that I miss my favorite tv shows for.  Books that make me head home early from a night out with friends....just so I can get to the ending.  And these books did that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails