Life is Short, Break the Rules, Forgive Quickly, Kiss Slowly




What should the name of my new food blog be?

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

I want to be a food blogger

I think I want to be a food blogger.  But I'm not really sure that I'm cut out for the job.

I'm getting into this cooking challenge of mine, and I'm making all sorts of wonderful things BUT I am absolutely HORRIBLE at a couple of things that are essential for food bloggers.  For example, I keep forgetting to take pictures of the things I make.  AND I just copy other peoples recipes, I don't really make my own.

That said.... I'm going to talk about making stuff in this here post.  Put up the pictures I do have. And to be honest... this is one recipe that I took a lot of pictures of.  It was just SO pretty.


I think the most exciting recipe that I've made in the last little while is something that I never even got to taste.  My good friends Ann and Mary had an exciting Amazing Race themed birthday on Thanksgiving Weekend (Canadian Thanksgiving :p) and so I figured that since they put so much effort into planning their birthday that I should put more effort into their gift than just handing them a bottle of booze. 

 So, inspired by Barefoot Foodie, I created the ultimate birthday present.... Skittles Vodka

I seperated Skittles into their colours....



Topped it with Vodka and gave it a shake....




Shook the jars, a couple times a day for a couple days.

And then ran each colour through a sieve lined with paper towel (I also tried a coffee filter but somehow it didn't work as well... paper towel was definitely the best), put the vodka back in its jars and gave them a photo shoot.







I will be making this again for myself.  And maybe with just red and green skittles for Christmas.  And just orange for halloween this week.

I will be freezing my vodka for shots, and I will be mixing it with sprite.

P.S. Does this count as a recipe?  I can't decide but I'm counting it anyways.

7 comments:

  1. Well that is FREAKING FANTASTIC and I'm like so going to do that. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I am SO going to make Skittles vodka - that looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jane,

    that gift was amazing!!! Thank you for participating in the amazing race and giving the shout out!!!

    The vodka is amazing! You never cease to impress!

    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. While contemplating the 'you should become a food blogger' chat we had the other day, I got thinking....can I call it my own recipe if I say I was 'inspired' by a certain recipe, attach a link, but then change some ingredients? I always end up doing this as I never have the ingredients I need.

    Or more liekly, I decide I'm an Iron Chef and start flying by the seat of my pants, convinced my recipe will be better then the original.

    jhou

    ReplyDelete
  5. UM... where's my skittles vodka!? Can we make a Christmas vodka date!? That would be fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @CkretsGalore and @lalalauren - yeah its the best recipe I've made yet. It combines my favorite things, candy and booze

    @ann - I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

    @jhou - I totally think that it counts as a new recipe. I've seen food bloggers do it all the time. often then put 'adapted from...' though.

    @GreekCowgirl - Of course we can have a skittles vodka date!! Everyones invited.... there are no boundaries when it comes to skittles vodka!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can you say delicious? I'm going to have to try this! My cousin introduced me to something called drunken gummy bears. You take a package of gummy bears, place them in a bowl and pour flavored vodka (peach schnapps works great too!) on top and let them soak in the refrigerator for 24 hours. The next day you have an amazing snack :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails