This is at Gullfoss, which is part of the Golden Circle Tour in Iceland. Whats crazy about this is that you are allowed to go stand out where that rock juts into the middle of the GIGANTIC waterfall. And there are no guard rails or anything. Apparently in Iceland they think that if you are dumb enough to do something stupid, like stand too close to the edge, then you deserve what you get.
This is Strokkur, which is a geyser in Iceland. It is right next to Geysir (maybe 30 ft away), which happens to be where geysers get their name (a little etymology there!). Geysir rarely erupts anymore though, so I don't have a picture.
This is me at þingvellir. It is the site of continental drift, which means that since Iceland is on two separate tectonic plates (the North American Plate and the Eurasian Plate) that are moving away from each other, the country is slowly growing, and you can see evidence of this at þingvellir.
This is also the site of Alþingi, which is widely considered to be the worlds first parliament.
Hanging out at the June 17, Icelandic Independence Day celebrations.
This is me at the President of Iceland's house. Notice how there are no guards, or security? Yep you can walk right up to his house, and ring the door bell. Ólafur Ragnar Grímsson is the current President of Iceland and is also my 7th cousin, and a very nice guy!
At the top of mount Esja, across the bay from Reykjavík. It was quite the hike up to the top! I realize that I apparently only have one way that I pose for pictures and this is it.
Icelandic Horse! Just because its little and cute doesn't mean you should call it a pony though. The Icelanders get really upset about that.
Also, in Iceland they eat horse. I never got a chance to try any, but maybe next trip :s
So those are some pictures of my first 2 weeks in Iceland and I feel like I barely scratched the surface of my trip!! Look forward to more pictures! Since I am all "Go Iceland Go!!" these days I bet there will be more posted soon :)








Wow!!! Iceland looks GORGEOUS! And it looks like you've been having a blast :)
ReplyDelete