Life is Short, Break the Rules, Forgive Quickly, Kiss Slowly




What should the name of my new food blog be?

Monday, February 8, 2010

Card Games and Young Brains

Every Sunday my sister and I go to play Bridge with our Amma (means Grandma in Icelandic).

Now I know what you are thinking. "Are you 24 going on 80?" Which, when you actually look at my list of after-work activities is a very good question. I crochet, I run a book club, I organize (and sometimes teach, much to everybody's, including my, surprise) an Icelandic class. Not to mention being the Culture and Youth Director for the Icelandic National League of North America, and being on the INL usually is a job for the retired.

I have wanted to learn bridge for years. Its one of those card games that if you know how to play it, then you will be able to easily pick up about 10-20 others, no problem. Plus is good for keeping that brain young. And I like card games and young brains. Now my sister and I bugged my dad for years to teach us. And he kept saying he would get around to it, until last summer. Last summer he decided that he didn't remember how to play bridge. What a load. Liar Liar pants on fire. Anyways this opened up a new opportunity for us. We talked to our Amma. She enlisted a friend. And we were off and running with Sunday Bridge Lessons.

So it turns out that Bridge is hard! You have to remember where every single card in the deck is for every hand and on top of that try to play to win! Plus you have a partner and even know you never get to see whats in their hand, but you have to somehow communicate using secret bridge language.

I swear learning to play bridge is harder than university!! My head hurts after every time I play!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails