Today I walked the hallways of downtown Calgary and people watched. Which was new for me.
Believe it or not, I am not normally a 'people-watcher'. Yes I do look at people as I pass them on a sidewalk, or a +15, and I pay attention if I like their shirt, or purse or shoes. But for the most part I just walk purposefully, eyes forward, towards my destination. I am oblivious to most everything, unless it gets directly in my way.
Today was different. Today I wandered slowly, (yep I became one of those people I hate... a 'Slow Walker'), I even stopped and had coffee (and didn't stick my nose in a book) and looked at all the people around me, and I found out that I'm a judge-y bitch. When I stop and pay attention I can be quite mean. I did find out that most people fell into three distinct categories though. Here they are with a small sample of the things I thought about people in each category...
Category 1 - People who have terrible fashion sense (according to me)
"OMG that chick is definitely white trash! Her hair is soo platinum blond and has the worst roots ever!"
"What the hell is she doing with a Chanel bag? People who dress that poorly should not be allowed to wear Chanel. It must be fake"
"That dude is FAT! How do you even find clothes that big?"
"Is that purple hair? Weird. Ladies over 40 should Not have purple hair"
"Is that skirt short enough? Could it get any shorter? Is that appropriate for the workplace?"
Category 2 - People who have great fashion sense, are really pretty/hot, and who I hate because they appear to have it all.
"I should try wearing a dress like that"
"Oh I really like her necklace"
"Bitch! I hate you for owning the purse I have been coveting for the last month"
Category 3 - People who are plain and boring and who I didn't really notice. I didn't really think anything about these people. Which also makes me a bitch.
Obviously everyone does this, even if they say that they don't. Everyone people watches - even if it is passively (like the way I normally do) - so here is what I am wondering... Which category would I fall into if someone else was people watching and I walked by? Obviously I want to be in Category 2, but I think the category I would least like to be in is Category 3. It would suck to be so invisible and plain that you aren't even noticed when someone is actually looking.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment