Life is Short, Break the Rules, Forgive Quickly, Kiss Slowly




What should the name of my new food blog be?

Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Olympics are OVER :( but Canada is Golden!

So the Vancouver 2010, 21st Winter Olympic games have come to a close and what a great ending!!  I want to start out here being upfront and honest.  Normally I am not a big fan of watching sports on tv.  There are a few I don't mind (Golf and Curling) but I mostly don't mind them because they are low key enough to help me drift off into a wonderful nap, and I love a good nap.  But I have been following the Olympics quite closely (I always do) for a couple of reasons. 

Reason 1: I love national pride.  Patriotism is a lot of fun and I love to see large groups of people getting all worked up about the same issue/sporting event/person. 

Reason 2: Similar to reason 1, I love to see the world all follow the same thing.  The whole world watches the Olympics and I think its amazing that so many people in so many places all care so much.

Reason 3:  For the few short weeks that the Olympics are on, so many Olympians are famous.  Even if it is just for that one second, a bunch of sports that aren't normally televised or watched are on tv.  Bobsledders, Freestyle Skiers, and Ice Dancers are suddenly talked about in homes all around the world, and I think its amazing that people get the chanced to be recognized in the sports that they love, because quite frankly, most Olympic sports are amateur and therefore not watched by the general public. 

Reason 4: If it wasn't for the Olympics many amazing sports would fall into obscurity.  Seriously.  Would Ice Dancing actually still be a sport if it wasn't for the Olympics? 

So a quick point about the closing ceremonies and I will get on with listing all of the gold, silver and bronze medal winners since my last post.  Did they actually put giant beavers on tv?  And flying moose?  AWESOME.  I am proud of Canada for making fun of itself!



The Canadian men's hockey team pulled through in overtime to win Canada its deserved Gold medal (yes Canada did deserve it!  its our sport!) and to be honest, even though I am not a hard core hockey fan (or really a hockey fan at all...) I can appreciate a great game, and this gold medal game was AWESOME!  Plus I got a nice afternoon drinking buzz on while watching the game, which is always nice.



Kevin Martin and his team pulled out a great gold yesterday, and I am so proud of them.  I really do love curling (and I love John Morris... yummy) because it is a sport that really allows people of any age to participate.  Plus I feel like if I ever get off my ass and decide to attempt to go for an Olympic gold, curling is really my only shot.  I might WANT to choose skeleton, but I probably have better chance with curling.  Plus I love how simplistic the game is.  Anyone can understand it, there aren't any really crazy rules, but because of that, there is so much strategy.  



Of course there is also the Men's 5000m Short Track Speed Skating Relay.  Awesome gold there! Plus that dude has great dreads.  I want to be his friend. 

 
Men's 500m Short Track speed skating was won by Charles Hamelin!  And Canada totally cleaned up in Speed Skating!!  

 

and because Canada really does rock at hockey the women brought home the Gold too!!   They got in trouble for partying on the ice after the game, but seriously give them a break!  They were just partying because they won! 

So in total, that makes 14 gold medals for Canada... more than any other country!!!  Canada is golden!  And this is after everyone came out and said that the 'own the podium' campaign wasn't working.  Well we showed them!  

Here are the other medals that we have won since the last time that I posted...

Silver 
  • Women's Curling 

Bronze 

  • 4 Man Bobsleigh - Did you see Lascelles Brown's muscles??  Holy crap is he ripped!  The IOC must have been asking him to pee in a cup every 2 seconds!
  • Short Track Speed Skating - 500m - Francois-Louise Tremblay

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails