I think the person who told me this meant it as a compliment, as in I hold the company together because I make sure things get done, I put the finishing touches on projects, I complete things that no one else wants to do etc.
But... doesn't also mean I am the company bitch/gopher? As in "I don't want that crappy job, let's get Jane to do it!" While I do have an official title (Human Resources and Safety) and actual things that I accomplish throughout the day (Blogging, Tweeting, Facebook Stalking) I do find a lot of stupid, silly jobs being put on my plate. It is not unusual that someone emails me asking me to 'please put this document on company letterhead'. WTF are you incapable of cutting and pasting yourself?
Anyways I think its obvious that I am frustrated with my job these days. Everyone knows it. Here's hoping that I get a super awesome new job offer this week, so that I don't have to be 'Saran Wrap' anymore.
At least it was a brand name insult/compliment. I would probably be more offended if they called me 'cling film'. my response would be all 'What?!?! I'm not even good enough to be brand name? I'm the cheap thin film that holds the company together and not the expensive brand name, guaranteed to work thin film that holds the company together?!?!? Screw you!'
Added Later:
So after reflecting on this, I come up with a funny observation. When explaining my last name to people I often say 'McReynolds' like Reynolds Wrap, you know, the cling film, but with a Mc in front of it'. Ironic that I actually use the term to describe myself and then get mad when someone else does! Though to be fair it was in a totally different context.

No comments:
Post a Comment