Life is Short, Break the Rules, Forgive Quickly, Kiss Slowly




What should the name of my new food blog be?

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Starship Troopers - Book Report

So I Finally finished Startship Troopers by Robert A Heinlein.  It took forever, but i did actually enjoy the book quite a bit (I think).  And I am apparently having trouble getting started writing about it.  Not sure why because the novel certainly gives you lots to think about, and has some very interesting topics and themes and world views.

Heinlein is one of my favourite authors, and he really puts his views into his work.  For example he talks extensively in this novel that only people who have served in the army and have finished their terms are allowed to vote.  Which is an interesting theory, especially when you take a look at all the arguments put forth in the novel.  In this fictional world enrolment in the army is 100% voluntary, they make it hard and scary for a person to enrol, and if you run away from the army they don't chase you and don't force you to come back.  Supposedly this means that the only people who enrol in that army are fit to decide the fate of the human race, because only people who are in the army and who finish out the term value humanities well-being above their own.  Which, in the context provided, makes a lot of sense.

I am still a little unsure about this novel and I think a big part of the problem is that, for me, this isn't a very typical Heinlein novel.  They are usually not so militaristic, which, even though I knew what I was getting into, I was still really surprised by.  I'm not sure, his novels are usually a lot more fun and happy, and this was so grim.


I can't think of anything more to say about Starship Troopers, so I guess I will just move on and say that my next book is going to be Catch-22 by Joseph Heller.

I also might start a 'must read' book list....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails